So you’ve found the one and you are head over heels with him or her. It’s a wonderful feeling, and you want to make this person your world, if you haven’t already. It is exciting and overwhelming and like most women, you want to give your relationship one thousand percent. But what about you? How do you maintain your mental and emotional health while in a romantic relationship? Here are some tips:
- Have personal boundaries. Sure, relationships call for compromise, some vulnerability, and leaving your comfort zone. That is normal. Abuse, whether sexual, physical, or emotional is not normal. Ensure you have healthy boundaries set. You deserve that.
- Have friends! You don’t have to spend every waking and sleeping moment with your partner to maintain a romantic relationship. Have a girls’ night out. Time away from your partner makes the heart grow fonder.
- Speak up. If you are uncomfortable with something in the relationship, talk to your partner about it. There is no need to allow the concern to fester, as this may lead to bigger problems down the road.
- Show gratitude. Being grateful for something your partner does, whether big or small, is good for both you and your partner. Your partner will be encouraged to continue with the kind gesture(s), and showing gratitude is good for mental health.
- Enjoy the ride. Love is an adventure for the both of you. Revel in it. Just like you, your partner is one of a kind. There is not another person exactly like him or her on this planet. How special is that?
- There is no such thing as a perfect relationship. Your partner is going to mess up, and guess what? So will you. It is important to learn from the mess up and always look forward, not backward. Forgiveness goes a long way.